Wednesday, September 22, 2010

P-H-I-M-U, Phi Mu

If you had asked me about Rush a week ago, my response would have been a mix between nervous, uncertain, and anxious. I won't lie- I was excited, too, but I didn't know if I was a "sorority girl." I signed up to go through recruitment initially to meet other people. I figured if I didn't feel ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN about my decision at the end of the week, I would bow out and not join. I can now happily tell you I am a proud member of Phi Mu. : )
But let's start at the beginning. Before rush started, all of the girls who were signed up to rush were placed in Rho Gamma groups. (Rho Gamma: Transy's version of recruitment police. They make sure that there is no dirty rushing, that ALL your questions get answers, and carry a Mary Poppins-esque bag of bobby pins, chap stick, snacks, mints, deodorant, and anything else a girl could possibly need on a big night.) Each Rho Gamma leader is a sorority girl who has temporarily disassociated from her chapter in order to unbiasedly help girls find which sorority fits them best. In their own words "We gave up our letters in order to help you find yours." These leader help to explain the procedure and rules that are involved in rushing, and take their group from place to place.
The first night was most casual, and it was "Hall Night." Rho Gamma groups traveled to the different sorority halls (there are no fraternity/ sorority houses on campus, members can elect to live on a specific hall in the dormitories ) and before we even entered any of the halls you could hear the sororities cheering and chanting. There was so much excitement on both sides- from the girls rushing and the girls recruiting. When you entered onto the hall one of the active members would link arms with you and show you around, introduce you to people, and explain basic information about their chapter. At the end of the night, all the girls rushing filled out sorority sorts to help them organize their thoughts, and then each girl picked their top three choices. Transy Greek Life selection is based off a mutual selection process, so it isn't ALL dependent on the sorority OR the girls rushing.

The next night, (which is Saturday night, in case I forgot to mention that this process starts on Friday night) is a little more dressy, and is known as "Community Involvement Night." This night is all about the philanthropic events that each group hosts, the events they throw, outside clubs and activities, sisterhood events, and anything else that helps connect the girls to the community at Transy and in Lexington. All of the sororities have very strong ties to their foundations and some of the efforts are really impressive. DeltaDeltaDelta (TriDelt) was able to raise $10 million dollars for St. Jude in just four years. At the end of the night girls make preference sheets again- this tim listing their top two choices.


Preference Night: The longest night. The most dressy night. The most personal night. This is the final night for girls to meet sorority members and really talk to them about why their chapter is special to them. It's hard to explain why this night is so touching, but hearing personal stories from the girls really does help solidify choices (or in some cases, make them more difficult). But tonight's the big decision night.....


BID DAY (Monday)! Let me tell you, it is a LONG wait until 3:30 to find out which sorority you are in. But three thirty FINALLY rolls around, girls get their official invitations to the chapters, there are pictures, and screaming, and crying, and running around. It's an exciting process to go through, and after an official Panhellenic Pinning (Panhellenic is the national sorority association) is one of the best parts. All the new pledges get into groups of their chapters, hide behind a giant banner of their sorority's colors, and two by two run into the cheering arms of their new sisters. There are ridiculous costumes, everyone is screaming and jumping up and down, and it's practically a scene out of Legally Blonde.

Now, for all you out there saying Greek Life isn't for you- come experience it at Transy. It's not the stereotypical experience. Absolutely no hazing, no cutting-down of people, no negativity to other groups... there's a reason Transylvania is rated number one for Greek Life in the Princeton Review.
The night progressed with Candlelights, sorority bonding, Harry Potter Uno, Gummy Bears, and laughter. By the time I was absolutely exhausted, I walked back up to my room, and wouldn't you know...
My door was completely decked out with notes and signs form my new sisters, welcoming me in, telling me how proud they were of me, and how excited they were to have me as a new Phi Mu.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats Emily! I'm a member of Delta Gamma==I bet you didn't know that...I was very sad that my Katie didn't want to go through rush==it's not as 'nice' as yours is at your college! ITB, Mrs. Patsy