Monday, September 13, 2010

And the Classes Begin.....

First week of classes. First week of homework. First week of being a "full time student".

I guess it's a little funny that the day before classes started was Labor Day. The best misnomer to ever grace a calendar book: Labor Day- the day where people across America do as little work as possible on a much appreciated day off. Then, around rolls Tuesday and all the work you didn't have to do on Monday multiplies and manifests its self for the rest of the week.

Luckily, Orientation week was so effective at getting me to meet people and make new friends that I had a group of people to help me push through the delights of calculus. We had a homework parties in the front hall of Forrer, in my room, their room, my Professor's office, Professors-I'd-never-met-before's offices and slowly bit by bit it all got done. It seems like a lot of work (and it can be) but I never felt like it was overwhelmingly impossible. Upperclassmen would stop by the table in the lobby and ask if we needed help on any problems, and the Professors I'd never met before were thrilled to have students in their offices asking questions about their field. Classes can be a lot to handle the first couple of days, but by Friday things began to click into place. Having the support of other girls in the dorm to study with definitely helps keep you focused and sane, and it's been a lot easier to keep on going, even when the homework problems get challenging. As I type this, my calculus books lay open in a circle around me, layered with biology labs and study snacks, and next to me are Esi and Juliet- playing Justin Bierber's VMA performance video and trying to figure out how integrate using fractional parts.

So, college is still school work. It's still late nights studying, asking questions in class, and reworking your essay. However, this whole week hasn't been JUST homework.

Accomplishments (outside of classes) Of the Week :

1. Regardless of what my mother thinks, I did do laundry. I used the right amount of soap, sorted my brights and whites, and nothing came out pink, shrunken, or otherwise ruined. : )

2. Battled the Freshman Fifteen. That's right ladies and gents- it is possible to make time to use the fabulous Beck center.

3. Explored the city. Every Saturday morning there is an expansive farmer's market that opens up right in the middle of downtown Lexington. I went with a group of girls from my SOL, and together we made our way through rows of vendors selling their produce. In hindsight, it's probably a good thing that I found the Beck center because I came back with fresh baked bread, muffins, pesto dip, and a basket of indescribable peaches.
4. Attended Block Party
With Greek Recruitment right around the corner, block party is a chance for each of the four sororities and each of the four fraternities to set up tables and mix with students who plan to rush. You can ask questions, play corn hole, meet some of the Greek students, and get a feel for each of the different groups. This day was also the first day that Greek groups were allowed to wear their letters on campus.
(for the sake of rushing purposes, I won't put up pictures from this event until after this weekend. There are a lot of rules involved so that there is no "dirty rushing" and I would hate to get anyone in trouble. )

With all that being said, homework is calling my name. It's time to power through and work ahead because this up coming week is a big one. Involvement Fair and Rush both start this week, so hopefully my next post will have a lot of pictures.

No comments: