Thursday, October 7, 2010

Hello, October!

Well, I successfully made it through last week, and now that everything has been sorted out, this week is almost over as well!
It is pretty amazing how fast time flies here, and already it's been a month. It's to the point now where it feels like everyone is starting to consistently hit a stride. I feel less like a "new" student and more like a Pioneer, and the new prospective students are starting to venture on to the campus. I get so excited every time I see them, and there is definitely and urge to spend a kajillion hours explaining to them how wonderful Transy is. Unfortunately, it's not something you can tell a person very well- more of an experience you have to be there for. (part of the reason why I am such a huge advocate for visiting a school before you make any decisions!)
So, if you are considering Transy, I would HIGHLY recommend staying a night. The people you stay with are amazingly friendly, and I am still friends with many of the girls that showed me around on my first visit.

Anyways, outside of prospective students, things are still busy as ever on campus!

The rehearsals for the Bakkhai are picking up, and tonight was the first time all the parts were incorporated together. It was fun to see all the hard work the other actors had been putting into their scenes, and the chorus girls and I were just as excited to show off the moves we'd been working on the past two weeks. Although there is still a lot of work to be done, the show is looking nice. Elements are falling into place, people are exploring their characters, and as a team we are finally starting to see the bigger picture of the show. Performances are going to start the first week in November, so hopefully some of you all will come to see it.

As a first year student in my first semester at college, I didn't think I would have all the opportunities I am finding present on campus. Over this past week, I have started researching with Dr. Csuhai, a professor on campus; something most undergraduates don't have the chance to do else where, let alone a freshman undergraduate. Dr. Csuhai is wonderful at provoking forward thinking questions as to where I want to take the experiments, as well as keeping me on track and in the right direction. Through the ACS (American Chemical Society) students have the chance to present research at a region and national convention. The experience of not only working in the lab and synthesizing data, but being able to discuss and present work is a nice leg up when looking at graduate schools or for a job.
Right now I have been working on creating a could different solutions of food dyes which we plan to run through a spectrophotometer (a machine that tells you how great the absorbency of a solution is). From there we hope to separate the colors out to be able to pinpoint them in our daily foods and determine amounts. There are a couple other aspects of the project, but right now I'm just beginning to embrace the freedom of working in the lab like this.

Side Tangent!
This week was Transy Unplugged!
In order to help decrease our environmental impact and increase student awareness, several sustainability groups on campus have been working to make this week a more eco-friendly experience. Students have been invited to ride the "smoothie bike" - a bicycle powered blender for a free fruity drink, trade in their regular lightbulbs for more efficient eco ones, and turn off power strips. These groups also host larger events like the candlelit dinner- a dinner were all the lights are shut off and the cafe is illuminated with little voda candles down every table. It was a surprisingly relaxing night, and it was fun to experience dinner in the dark.


Other than that, classes are still moving right along, there have been no issues with room mate disasters yet, and my laundry is STILL getting done!! woohoo!

It's been a very productive week, and as much as I love doing what I'm doing, TGIF!!

No comments: